Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Cloth Diapering 101


When it comes to cloth diapering it can be very confusing at first, I know from personal experience when I began the journey about 7 months ago when we first found out we were pregnant. I started looking in to cloth because we wanted to save some money as well as a "cleaner" options for our baby. It took lots and lots of research to figure out what exact style of cloth diapering we were going to do as well as all the cloth diapering lingo. So here is a short and sweet run down of cloth diapers as well as resources I found helpful during my search.

Lingo

Learning the lingo first is most important. I would come across a blog that seemed helpful but had to piece together what exactly they were trying to say...CD hun? OS Who? Here is a little key to cloth diapering lingo.

CD : cloth diaper
OS : one size
AIO : all-in-one
AI2 : all-in-two
Aplix : hook and loop also known as velcro

These are just a few to get you started. For more abbreviation check out here. It gives a great explanation of each in more detail.

Cloth Diapers

Cloth diapers have changed so much in the last 10-20 years. I know when I first told both my parents and in-laws that we decided to cloth diaper I got a few worried looks. Then I showed them the diaper we are using and they all said something like "this is a cloth diaper? Boy they didn't look like this back then." When choosing which cloth diaper to use there are three popular styles they are...

Pocket: A pocket diaper is just how it sounds. There is a pocket or opening between the outside and inside of the fabric where you would stuff absorbent inserts inside.

All-in-one: An all-in-one does not need any "stuffing" all the absorbent layers are sewn on.

Prefolds: A prefold is similar to the cloth diaper 10-20 years back. You fold the absorbent layer to fit your baby and secure with a snappi or safety pin. Then put a waterproof diaper cover over. These are considered one of the cheaper options

For Jesse and I we chose the bumGenuis Freetime. Its an all-in-one which we feel fit our family and lifestyle best. No matter what do your research cloth diapers are an investment up front but a savings overtime. To find out more information I have a board on Pinterest called " All Things Cloth Diaper" for added info I have found useful.







No comments:

Post a Comment